February 4, 2015- World Cancer Day 2015
Today is World Cancer Day, a global event to raise awareness and fight cancer!
Taking place under the tagline ‘Not beyond us’, World Cancer Day 2015 will take a positive and proactive approach to the fight against cancer, highlighting that solutions do exist across the continuum of cancer, and that they are within our reach.
The campaign will explore how we can implement what we already know in the areas of prevention, early detection, treatment and care, and in turn, open up to the exciting prospect that we can impact the global cancer burden – for the better.
World Cancer Day is a unique opportunity to raise awareness that there is much that can be done at an individual, community and governmental level, to harness and mobilise these solutions and catalyse positive change. By moving forward together we have the potential to show: Cancer. It is not beyond us.
The 2015 campaign will be articulated around four key areas of focus:
- Choosing healthy lives
- Delivering early detection
- Achieving treatment for all
- Maximising quality of life
Want to get involved? Here are 4 great ways you can (from Stand Up to Cancer)
How to Take Action on World Cancer Day
Wednesday, February 4th is World Cancer Day, a day when people across the globe unite to take a stand against a disease that’s affected us all – mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, friends, grandparents, and even our children. Please take a moment to stand unified with others around the world by offering your pledge of support.
Here are four ways YOU can get involved this World Cancer Day.
1. Kiss Cancer Goodbye! This World Cancer Day, Stand Up To Cancer is calling on everyone around the globe to #KissCancerGoodbye. Participation is easy! Just post a photo in social media of you kissing a friend, family member, pet or even blowing a kiss to the camera with the hashtag #KissCancerGoodbye. Every photo shared will help raise awareness for Stand Up To Cancer’s goal of turning all cancer patients into survivors. Can we get a kiss from every country all around the world? Learn more at su2c.org/kiss
2. Ask a question! On February 4th from 12pm-2pm EST, participate in a twitter chat hosted by SU2C, ACS, AACR and Barak Goodman, the director of the PBS documentary, CANCER: THE EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES. We will be discussing the status of cancer research and treatment, why World Cancer Day is so important and how this compelling documentary follows the history of cancer from ancient days to today’s latest advances. Follow the hashtag #FightWorldCancer to join the chat, ask questions and share your thoughts.
3. Help show that the solution to cancer is #NotBeyondUs by joining a World Cancer Day Thunderclap. Sign up, and Thunderclap will automatically post a World Cancer Day message to the social media of your choice, at the same time as thousands of others around the world. The thunder goes off at 1pm CET on February 4th! Go to WorldCancerDay.org to learn more about this and other global activities and issues.
4. Who do you stand up for? You can make a donation in honor of someone you love by giving to the to the innovative, life-saving cancer research that SU2C funds. 100% of your donation received by SU2C will support Stand Up To Cancer’s collaborative cancer research programs.
I hope you do all 4! A Kissing Picture! Yes! Be involved with a twitter chat! Yes! Thunderclap! Heck Yeah! A donation- absolutely!
Spread the awareness! Let your friends and family know about World Cancer Day!