Just in time for summer, a watermelon hat for a baby girl in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I did a crochet cast-on to the infant loom.
The green part (the watermelon rind) is a rib stitch which is 2 pegs of knit stitch and then 2 pegs of purl stitch. I purled the white part and the pink is a garter stitch, which is 1 row purl and 1 row knit for 3 to 4 rows. I used the drawstring close method to finish the hat. The seeds are made with french knots. I used a light green yarn to single crochet around the edge of the hat to give it a little more finish to it.
Because of the ribbed rind part, the hat is a bit tight. I hope they have someone who will be able to wear it without it being so tight.